The very first thing you should do when you are planning a move is to create a moving budget. You see, most people who move feels like they don’t have time to set up a budget. But calculating your moving costs on time will help you to be financially ready. And you will know how exactly your budget is, and how much your moving will cost you.
Moving house is extremely overwhelmed for you and your budget and it requires the assistance of moving company. But the thing is, if you have plenty of time, you can cut down the moving costs by accomplishing most of the moving tasks by yourself. On the other hand, if you can afford professional assistance, you can save some valuable time. And if you can’t make a decision yet, you need to think about everything. You need to do the research and find the best solution. Get an accurate idea of the average moving costs and the time you need to organize your relocation in order. Moving costs depend on a number of factors but you can easily calculate them when you input the right parameters. You just need to know how to estimate moving expenses.
So, how much should you budget for the moving costs? The amount can vary. Like, the distance, then how much stuff you have to move and whether you want to go pro with a move or choose a DIY approach. When calculating moving costs, don’t forget to include all possible moving expenses.
How to create a moving budget?
You can use software programs to create a budget template. Programs like Microsoft Word or Excel are the best for using, and Excel allows you to use formulas for easy calculations. When you create a moving budget template in Excel, it will provide you with everything you need. If you don’t want to spend the time setting up a document for moving costs on your computer, purchase a bookkeeper’s record book at your local office supply store. You may need to make a few adjustments to the column titles or entry boxes. But it will provide you with the basic outline of expense tracking that you’ll need. Also, make sure you have a good calculator or adding machine on hand.
Moving costs include:
- Travel fees – Travel fees add up quickly when moving a long distance. These fees take into account fuel costs, as well as labor costs for the time it will take for the movers to get from house A to house B.
- Size of your move – Moving a lot of stuff? Not only will the move take longer to complete, but your shipment of belongings will also be heavier. This can result in a cost increase.
- Packing services – Hiring movers to pack up your belongings could cost you an extra few hundred bucks or more.
- Moving add-ons – The costs of your move are going to be affected by any add-on services you choose to include. This could mean disassembling and reassembling furniture, moving of specialty items, and moving supplies provided by movers such as stretch wrap felt pads and mattress bags.
- The next is storage services – If you’re dealing with a complicated move, you may choose to have a moving company hold or store all belongings before, during or after a move. You just need to prepare to pay extra for this service. Storage rates vary from moving company to moving company, so be sure to ask for specifics.
- Moving supplies – Some packing supplies you can get for free, like moving boxes, plastic beans, bubble wrap or packing paper. But, the rest, you have to purchase online or go to a local store.
- Moving date – can affect the price dramatically. For example, a weekend move and/or a move during peak season tends to cost much more than a week-day, off-season move.
- Liability and valuation coverage – If you’re using a moving company, you’ll likely need to purchase some sort of liability coverage. And most moving companies offer multiple levels of protection.
How to cut moving costs?
When you are looking to save money for the upcoming move you need to find some ways to cut costs. For example, you can get rid of your unnecessary belongings. Also, you can rent a moving truck if you are not hiring the moving company. And unless you’re prepared to pay for professional movers or labor assistance, you can ask friends and family for their help. Anyways, be creative and find your own way, and also have fun!
Moving depends on the budget. In order to estimate your moving costs entirely, you need to prepare financially. You have to make sure, that you have enough money to cover the transportation of the items in your inventory list. This means that you should request a quote from a moving company. Directly fill in the moving costs calculator and see what feedback you will get from moving experts in terms of pricing and packing costs. You will receive a moving calculation that will give you an estimate for your move made either for a certain weight or on an hourly basis.
If you are moving within state your quote will contain calculations based on an hourly rate. But when you need long distance movers for moving away from one state to another or a different city, your move will be calculated based on the weight of transported items.
In the end
Moving really is a long process and it will take weeks and even months to organize well. That’s why you are going to need very good preparation and most importantly – a good budget planning. In order to establish the moving costs, you can consider everything you read in this article. Try to sum up the main moving costs as well as the packing costs and start calculating. Because, at the end of the day, everything depends on how big your moving budget is.